Sunday, September 12, 2010

Humor for the Week...

The first week of Kindergarten was great! Wednesday when I picked Emma up from her first day, she ran to me and was so excited to share stories from her day! Mrs. Allen (her teacher) has a stuffed elephant named Eddy. Eddy, we learned, doesn't really like grown-ups, but he loves kids! So, when Mrs. Allen isn't looking, Eddy does some pretty silly things, like dance, move his head, etc. Of course, Eddy always sits on Mrs. Allen's lap! :) On Wednesday, like I said, Emma ran to me and started telling me about her day...how Eddy started dancing when Mrs. Allen wasn't looking; how she drew a picture of herself wearing a crown for her family folder; how she had art class and drew a picture of lines; how she got to sit next to her friend, Cindra, for lunch, even though Cindra's in the other Kindergarten class; and how "Kindergarten ROCKS!" LOL

Thursday, when I picked Emma up, she was not as bubbly...she dragged her feet while walking to me, and just plopped her head on my shoulder and said, "Mama, it was a LONG day!" LOL When I asked her if she had her lunch box, she put her hand to her forehead and said, "Oh darn, I knew I forgot something!" So we went back down to Mrs. Allen's room to get her lunchbox. On the way back to the nursery to get Bradlee, I looked down and saw Emma had on pink socks with her mostly blue, green and purple outfit. I said, "Emma, are those the socks Mama put on you this morning?" (It wouldn't have been the first time I put totally non-matching socks on one of the kids...I do get them dressed in the dark!) The conversation went downhill from there...

Emma: "No, these are the socks from Ms. Joann." (Ms. Joann is the latch key instructor)
Me: "Why did Ms. Joann give you new socks?"
Emma: "Because I got blood on my other ones."
Me: "Blood?! Are you hurt? Did you get a boo boo??"
Emma: "No. Katie got a bloody nose when we were in the gym and I stepped in it."
Me: "Oh. Is Katie okay?"
Emma: "Yep. We saw Mr. Jim in the hallway a little later and he said he saw Katie and that she was doing good."
Me: "Who's Mr. Jim?"
Emma: "Oh, he's the guy who cleans the whole school."
Me: "Oh. Well, I'm glad Katie's not hurt."
Emma: "Yeah, me too. Other kids had to get new socks, too."

LOL I was laughing so hard just thinking about the conversation! When we got home, I took the socks out of the little Ziploc bag they had been put in (I was rather surprised they even sent them home with blood on them, instead of throwing them away right there at the school) and there was this little tiny dot of blood on the toe of one of Emma's socks...ah well. Threw them in the washer and it was gone.

Friday was another great day for her. She said Eddy hit Mrs. Allen in the face with his trunk! When I got the papers out of Emma's folder, there was a page that said, "We had a lot of laughs in Kindergarten today! Ask me about...." and then there was a picture of an elephant (a very good one, at that...I should try to scan it...), some blue lines, and a Laffy Taffy wrapper. I asked Emma to tell me about it! She told me that it was a picture of Eddy trying to hit Mrs. Allen in the face with his trunk and the blue lines are called "movement lines". "What's that mean, Emma?" I asked. "Oh, it means that I'm trying to show you that the trunk was moving." HUH??? What Kindergartner knows about movement lines?! Anyway, the Laffy Taffy wrapper was on there because that was a treat Mrs. Allen gave them to eat!

So, I think it's going to be a great year with my Kindergartner...I can't wait to hear more stories from her!

Bradlee's adjusted well to going back to school. He's now graduated to a booster seat at the big table and chairs instead of a high chair...and I was told that he went to sleep for his nap without even having his back patted!! HA! Wish he'd do that at home?! :) He has a bit of a stuffy nose today, but since he's 2 I can (finally!) give him something for the allergies and it seemed to work rather well that I don't think he'll have to miss much school for a drippy nose!! Keep your fingers crossed!!

After today, I'm beat...so hope you have a great week! :)

No comments: