Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Feeling Nostalgic...

So an okay "hump day" turned into a great Wednesday! Out of the blue, I got a phone call from two of my good friends!! Julie and I have been friends since Kindergarten...she's now a doctor...I mean, full-fledged, prescription-writing, crazy-on-call-hours, doctor. It's awesome. I tell her all the time how proud I am of her...I don't know that she really understands just how proud I really am of her! She gave me this picture in a frame for my birthday a few years ago...nice, 'eh? It's from our Kindergarten graduation in 1986. I'm sure you can tell that I'm the one on the left, she's on the right. We don't talk or see each other much, but when we do, it's like we've seen each other every day!! What a valuable friendship I have with her!! I love and miss her so much!






Then, not even a half-hour later, the phone rings again, and it's my friend and former roommate, Kate! I haven't talked to Kate in I don't know how long (in person, that is...we've emailed). We met at CMU and lived together for two years. This is the only picture of her I have that isn't in a box in the garage...sorry, Kate! LOL She moved to Chicago after graduating so I really don't see her much! She just had a baby at the end of September and her and the baby (Lauren) and her husband, Geoff, will be driving through Flint tomorrow and she thought to call me and see if we could somehow get together! I, unfortunately, have to work, but they are going to try to stop by my work so I can at least run out and see them!!! What a great surprise!!! I really miss talking to Kate and just basically hanging out...especially playing dominoes! :) I wish she lived closer than Chicago.






Two other friends I didn't hear from today (although I probably will after they read this!) are Lauren and Sara. Lauren and I met at CMU and lived together our final year there. She now lives in Canada with her husband, Scott. That's definitely long-distance!! We talk every once in a while and they stop by and visit when they're driving through (her family lives on the west side of Michigan, so it's usually around the holidays!)...and we've started a tradition where she comes over for a weekend and we go Christmas shopping together. For Christmas last year, her gift to us was to paint Emma's new "big girl room"...so one weekend in March, she came over and pulled wallpaper, sanded, patched, primed and painted Emma's bedroom. I miss her terribly, too!!!








Sara and I also met at CMU through a student group at the church, St. Mary's. We have a great relationship and she's Emma's godmother. She was going to become a Dominican Sister (and be "Aunt Sista Sara"!), and we completely supported her, but for reasons of her own, she decided it was not for her and is now happy as a clam schmoozing for a hospice organization in the Adrian area. :)


I miss these girls so much and I wish we all had more free time to spend together...in the mean time, I guess we'll just have to settle for emails and phone calls!!

PS - Monique...I'm saving baby clothes for you...and I'm praying you have a girl! :) LOL

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristy,

6 weeks 'til my due date ... and then we will see if all of your praying was worth it!
I thought that you threatened to get rid of the clothes long before this baby entered the world ... But, if the baby IS a girl, I will take you up on your offer (I promise)!

Anonymous said...

That picture...I just LOVE it! Now I have to go dig up the one from Mr. Sims' class in 6th grade where we look like identical twins with our huge glasses! =). Who would have imagined that those two cute little girls would become such amazing women?! Love you lots! ~~ Julie

Anonymous said...

Kristy,
You are the best! I love the photos.
I miss you guyts a ton! I hope I can get up to see you within the next few weeks.
Big Hugs all around!

Love,
Sara

Kate said...

WOW..I think that picture of me acting like a figure skater was taken at the St. Mary's retreat. What a wonderful weekend that was.

So glad we were able to stop by last Thursday. Sorry we couldn't visit longer. Lauren has been wearing the sleep sacks you let us borrow and they are keeping her very warm.

Let's get together soon and play Phase 10 or Dominoes!

Kate