Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Personal Space...

Here are some (not so good) pictures of me at 36 weeks...I know, I'm large...however, I don't think that should allow the following...

I think there is an unwritten, unspoken, unrelenting rule that says when you are pregnant, you are thereby required to release personal information you would not normally release about yourself...case in point:

On Sunday after mass, I was leaving with Tony and Emma and a woman stopped me and asked me if I "had more than one in there". Of course, she found this rather entertaining, as she had a huge smile on her face. I said, "Uh, no...just one!" And she said, "Wow! You must be getting really close, then!" I was thinking, "Yeah, I would have guessed that FIRST!".

Yesterday after work I was going to go grocery shopping. I went through the drive thru of McDonald's for something to drink. Ordered fine, paid fine...and then I got to the "get your food here" window...the woman said (before giving me my small drink), "When are you due?" I told her the date, with my hand out the window, waiting to receive my order. But no, she continues to ask me if it's my first baby, if I know the sex, HOW MUCH WEIGHT I HAVE GAINED, and how excited I must be to know that it's "so close"! All the while, holding my small drink hostage. I could have been mean (or clever, depending on how you look at it) and said something like, "Well, it's really my sister's husband's sister's lover's baby, not mine" to end the conversation...but not me, I guess I'm too nice. So I (fake) smiled, played to her rudeness, FINALLY got my drink and drove off in a huff...geez!

It's not over, though...because I still had to go grocery shopping! I walked into Meijer and went for a cart and the "greeter" said, "Welcome to Meijer! There's a lot of that going around now a days, it makes me afraid to drink the water!" I look at her like, "Huh?" And she reaches out and TOUCHES MY STOMACH and says, "I've seen a lot of pregnant women walking around lately!". I VERY quickly grabbed a cart and moved away. What the heck...just because a woman is pregnant does NOT mean she wants you touching her stomach...seriously. I couldn't even believe it. As I was walking around the store, I was thinking, "Man, if I had thought quickly enough, I would have said something like, 'I'm sorry, I'm not having a baby.'" LOL

So anyways, there's my rant about personal space. I know it won't improve after Bradlee's born...'cause then everyone will be hovering to see him. Maybe they should just come out as toddlers so no one will want to get too close! :) HEHEHE!!!!!

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend! We have some "big" plans...work and DSO (Detroit Symphony Orchestra) concert at Greenfield Village tomorrow (Thursday) night...grilling with the families on Friday, Tony DJ's on Saturday and more relaxing on Sunday! Sounds like a good weekend to me!!

No comments: