Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day #1!!

I was so thankful for the snow not coming until late last night because I could go to rehearsal for the Flint Symphonic Wind Ensemble! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the music we're playing and we have 2 performances coming up that we really need the rehearsals...while we only stayed about an hour, we accomplished a lot as a 3/4 band (about 1/4 of the members didn't show up) and makes me feel that much more confident in our performances! Since we knew quite early that Emma, Bradlee and Tony wouldn't have school today, I took Emma to rehearsal with me! She LOVED sitting with me in the clarinet section and listening to the music and watching all the different instruments. She also took some coloring items so she wouldn't be bored! :) Some of the other members of the band loved having a little girl there, too...especially one that was so curious about all the instruments!

Before Emma and I left, her and Bradlee were running around wearing Tony's and my boots that were drying on our rug by the door. Here's Buzz, ready to defend the snowy galaxy! :) Yes, that's a CMU hat he has on!! Sorry for the fuzziness of the picture, he wouldn't hold still! :)

So Emma and I left rehearsal and got home in decent time...no snow yet, just cold and windy! Boy oh boy was it a different story when we woke up!! I had set my alarm an hour earlier in order to give myself time to get to work...after all, banks don't close for weather (well, unless the county orders it...and that has happened once in the last 26 years!)...so I was all prepared. Got up around 7am, ready to walk out the door at 8am...brushed off the car and got in, ready to drive to work (to be there by 9am)...and I get stuck. I don't mean stuck for a minute...I mean STUCK. Couldn't move forward, couldn't move backwards...the best part of the whole thing, was that I was still in my driveway!! So I got out, called my boss (who had already called me earlier to tell me the bank was open!), changed my clothes and went out to shovel and snow blow. It took FOREVER. I figure I started about 8:15am...and I didn't get back inside until 9:30! Granted, I'm a perfectionist and made sure I did a good job, plus we do our neighbor's driveway, also. Nonetheless, it took a long time. I was able to move the van out of the way to get the driveway, then moved it back up to the top, then went around my car (still stuck), and did the whole bottom of the driveway...this is what I had to work with!

It looks like I was taking a picture of the snow blower...but I was using that as a gauge as to how high the snow was! This was the first time I went out...when I finished the bottom of the driveway and the sidewalk and the neighbor's, I tried moving the car again...no luck. I called my boss again and told her I wasn't going to make it in. Not only could I not move my car, but it was snowing again, the bottom of the driveway still had about a foot of snow, and NOTHING had been done with the street...I was out of luck. Damn.

Yes, I was disappointed. I love my job. I love doing my job. I hate other people doing my job. I hate having to not go to work because of something stupid like SNOW! :) Oh well...I took it for what I could. Nothing else I could do! I poured some salt under each of the tires of the car, on the driveway and porch and went inside to warm up!

About 4 hours later it didn't even look like I had shoveled! So I headed outside, started up the snow blower again and did everything all over again...this time, when I was done with the snow blower, I grabbed the shovel and basically dug out the snow that had melted and was now slush that was under my tires. Got in the car, said a prayer, and the car moved! :) I pulled it up the driveway and there it sits right now! :) I cleaned up the rest of the snow that was under my car, sprinkled some more salt, and went back inside!

Whew! I was exhausted! The kids wanted to finger paint, so I got out the paints and paper and let them go at it...predictably, they went after themselves, too!!

Bath time followed, then dinner and a movie (BOLT!)....now everyone is quietly sleeping...and that's where I'm headed, too!

Tomorrow's another snow day...I wonder what adventures the day will bring?

No comments: