Sunday, January 25, 2009

Good Week

Hey All --

It's been a busy, but good week. Monday was MLK Day, so no school, but other than that, the kids were finally in school a full week!!! YIPPEE! No swollen eyes or 4-year olds with PMS...no stomach bugs or stuffy noses...for now! :)

Yesterday my mom, sister (Karyn) and I participated in a 12-hour scrapbook crop for breast cancer. For those of you scrapbook-illiterate people, a crop is where you get together with other scrapbookers and just scrapbook for a period of time. There are hour-long crops, day-long crops, and even weekend-long crops!! It's a great time to just be able to sit and work on your projects and nothing else...it's rather relaxing and, depending on the other people you're with, it can be a fabulous time!

Anyways, we did this breast cancer crop yesterday, 9am - 9pm, with 120 other scrapbookers. What a day! I worked on my scrapbook from our Disney trip in 2007 and was able to get about 5 pages done. My mom worked on her scrapbook she's making for Emma (to give to her when she graduates high school!) and Karyn worked on her college scrapbook. There were vendors there selling things, including Pampered Chef and other scrapbook items. It was a lot of fun. They have a silent auction (of which my sister-in-law won!), door prizes (which EVERYONE wins!) and a raffle (I won a storage bin, which is going to my sister-in-law and my mom won a photo printer (!) which is going to Karyn!)!! It was a great day and I felt very productive. The best part is that ALL the procedes go to the Susan G. Komen fund....the whole event brought in $7500.00!!! WOO-HOO!!!!

Also at the crop, one of the ladies that was helping run it is a hairstylist. She volunteered (along with a co-worker) to cut hair for Pantene Beautiful Lengths (kind of like Locks of Love, only the Pantene group makes wigs for people of all ages, not just kids). Well, I attempted to grow my hair out (they needed no less than 8 inches), but quickly gave up! LOL However, Emma's never had her haircut, so I asked her and Tony if it's something we could do with her hair?! She was all for it...Tony? Not so much....so finally the big day comes and Emma sits on my lap and they cut off her ponytail! All 10 inches of it!!!!! Does she ever look cute, now! :) The whole 120 croppers were watching and when it was done, they all cheered!!! She got a little "Scrapbookers for Breast Cancer" t-shirt for doing it and VIOLA! it was done! After the ponytail was cut off, they trimmed and shaped it for her and then at the end told her to shake her head....she loved that one!
The rest of the afternoon, she kept brushing her "hair that wasn't there" off her shoulders (my mom said, "What a GIRL!")...how cute. My mom, by the way, donated her braid that was about 2 feet long. She had it cut off when she was 10 and had saved it all these years!

It was a great day and here are the pictures:

BEFORE
AFTER

1 comment:

Kate said...

Great work Emma! What a cool new hairstyle.